26th June – For Travel’s Sake!


So on the 8th of June I was set to leave to England (from Scotland).  The day of travel day started out as a disaster. I was in such a state because I was so nervous about travelling (first time travelling alone overnight by bus) and about stuff that would/wouldn’t happen. On the day I was due to leave (in the afternoon) I think I re-packed my suitcase about 10 million times and then again about 15 minutes before I had to leave the house. I was convinced I had forgotten something. So I got in the car, buckled up but then I had to RUN BACK INTO the house because I forgot something.

Once I got in the car, I was still a bit shaky but I was ready for the 14 odd hours (yes 14!!) of travel I was about to undertake, but first, I had to wait for the bus to take me into the city where my main journey would start.

Things did not get any better for me. I started to remember things I’d forgot (I knew I would forget SOMETHING) like the batteries for my camera which I was charging (silly me). I also had one heck of a wait for a bus that was going to the city, because most of the busses were only going to town and I didn’t want to take the train because then I’d STILL have to walk to the bus station, whereas the bus drops you directly by the station. So I had to sit. And wait. In the heat. This wasn’t a very easy thing for me to do. I was trying to remain calm because I had been freaking out all day. While waiting for the bus (which I thought was never going to arrive) I felt sick and a little dizzy. I thought I was going to faint or something. I honestly thought I was going to have some sort of an attack, but luckily I didn’t.

So bus comes and it’s FULL (ugh). I had to sit RIGHT IN THE FRONT (where I hate sitting in) with my 3 bags *rolls eyes* Nothing like sitting on the bus for an hour or so and have everyone stare at you. Ugh was way uncomfortable.

Finally reached the city where I was to catch the first bus of my 2-part journey. I had suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a long wait. Like maybe 2 – 3 hours. As it started to approach 9.30pm I started to get anxious again (bus was due to leave at 10.30pm). 10pm and I still hadn’t seen the bus. The nerves kicked in again. I went to sit outside (boy was it chilly) and look out for it. Eventually it did come (phew) and I got on the bus and was FINNALLY able to relax. I had to. I had 8 hours of travel ahead of me. Couldn’t be all antsy and stuff, that would have made the journey even longer.

I thought I was going to have a hard time but surprisingly I was fine on the bus. It was relatively quiet and the seats were comfy too, so I was able to get a few hours’ sleep here and there. Except for when the bear near me kept on snoring and waking me up, lol. Other than that, things were fine.

Arrived at my first destination a little early which was fine by me, because it meant I had a little more time to find out where the heck I was meant to go to find the next bus. I was shown the way by an attendant so that was nice. Made it to the waiting area and just had to wait for about an hour before leaving. I was a bit panicky because I thought the guy had taken me to the wrong bus, lol but it was the right one. I kept saying to myself “I don’t think this is the right bus” because at 7.50am (bus left at 8am) we still weren’t being called up. But it was the right bus. So I got on, sat down and relaxed. This journey wasn’t as long as the other one (roughly 5 hours and a half hours), but boy did it drag. We were meant to arrive at 1.30pm, but got to the bus station just before 2pm I think it was.

I was soooooo happy and sooooo relived that the long journey was over 🙂 and even more happy once I was reunited with my person ❤

Felt so good to just breathe and relax..but then this happened. so there I was, sat minding my own business and some strange woman came up to me and said “Excuse me, are you homeless?” I was like eh? So she repeated herself “Are you homeless?” And I replied, “No no, I’m not”. She was like “Oh sorry, I thought you were, I was going to offer you my pasty”

That was very weird, lol. I know she meant well but I looked in no way homeless. I was just very tired looking is all.

Sunday (I had arrived on Thursday) was our last day together alone and then later on that day we were off to meet (and stay with) his family. Well I was. Boy was I nervous! I’d been worrying about this day literally for months. I think it was because I didn’t know what to expect (because I’ve never done “meet the family” before, but everything was just fine (phew). All that stress and worry of will they like me, will we all get along stuff just melted away. Just goes to show that at times I really do over worry about stuff. I guess I was worried because I really wanted (and needed) things to work out. Meeting the family is a huge step..not only for me, but for our relationship too. As it stood, things were going well. His family are so great. He’s very lucky to have them in his life 🙂

I cannot tell you how glad I was that things were going so well. Because as I’ve mentioned a few million times about how much I worry about everything all the time, I was sure either things (or I) were going to fall apart. But they didn’t (thank god!). It felt nice to be around a family (at home it’s just me and my Dad).

So the rest of the week, things continued to go well (except for the part where he had to work, but I knew that was bound to happen, and I wasn’t going to be THAT person to tell him not to because I was visiting and stuff) and I really was having a great time 🙂

But then Friday came and it started to really hit me that this was my last day as I was leaving the next morning.

So Saturday morning came and I was not prepared at all for the day ahead of me. I didn’t want to leave. I never want to leave after spending time with him, but I knew I had to.

I somehow managed to gathered all my belongings and pack my bag. After saying my goodbyes to his family, we headed to the train station.

At the station, we had about maybe half an hour before I had to depart. I always hate this part. The announcement for my train came and I knew it was time.

“Ready?” he said. “No” I replied as I held onto him more tightly. I didn’t want to let go but eventually I did, as did he of me.

We must be getting better at saying goodbye because neither one of us shared a tear (although I could hear a bit of shakiness in his voice as we departed). I almost did cry, but I knew if I did, I’d not stop for a really long time. Goodbyes are never easy and don’t get any easier each time we say them.

As much as I love our relationship and being with him, it’s never easy being away (apart) from him. But that’s the situation we’re in currently. It won’t be for much longer though (we’re both still working on bridging the gap).

So anyway I got out my ticket and headed for the train. The train arrived and then…things went pear shaped. I’ll explain.

I made my way through the crowd of people; got on the train but got on the wrong coach area (ended up in first class) I was meant to me on the OTHER end of the train. So I sat there for about half an hour with 3 men who were drinking beer and being cheery (one was even nice enough to carry my suitcase up the stairs). Anyway ticket man told me where to go to the right seat (as though I didn’t know, lol). Coach stopped I got off, ran to what I though was the right coach but where did I end up? Only in the food area with the trolley man (lol). So I spent about 20 minutes there chatting to him. Least he was nice and friendly. The train stopped again and I ran off it to go find my right coach (train nearly left without me!) but I got back on it just in time. Found my seat and was able to relax (sorta) for the next few hours before I had to get the next train.

That was an exhausting first half of my day, lol.

Got on my second train without as much problem as before, except I found a lady and her kid sitting in my seat. She tried to tell me I was in the wrong place. Noooo lady, youuuuu are! She moved and sat somewhere else (with her loud and noisy kid).

Train stopped and I was home. Well not home, but back in Scotland. Went to get my ticket home from the ticket machine. And problem.  The machine would accept my (paper) money. I tried to use my card it said nope. I was like ughhhh, I’m gonna miss the train. So I ran to get money from the ATM, the queue was miles long. Went to a different machine to try again. This time is accepted and I raced to the train, but guess what? I JUST missed it. Boy I was not a happy bunny! All I wanted to do was go home.

So after waiting for about an hour, the train came and I was able to home. As much as I didn’t want to be home, I was kinda glad I was and didn’t have any more traveling to do.

So yeah, that’s basically the story of my 10-day escapade. But all in all, I really did have a good time away. I didn’t get to do (or accomplish) some of the things I wanted (or ha hoped) to do, but I know now what needs to be done for next time.

It’s always good to get away from the crazy world you live in and go somewhere where you can just breathe and relax 🙂

Can’t wait for the next trip. Hopefully the travelling part won’t be as stressful as this one was, lol.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s